Tuesday 1 November 2022

It's been a Wild Ride.....the rollercoaster of life!

Well it’s been a while since I have posted on this site….and a few races have been and gone. I would have usually created a post after Hells Bells and maybe I should have!  The Mountain Designs Wild Women were in fact winners of the women’s category but I was not part of the team Cass Kimlin joined Amie Munson, Gina Dunsdon and Nicola Jelinek.

Mountain Designs Wild Women - Female Winners Hells Bells Kenilworth 2022

I did, however, have a great time as a volunteer, not only managing TA1 for the full course and half course teams but also taking some short videos of teams at the start, finish and out on course.  This was a great way to keep me occupied when I would have rather been racing!

Kim - Hells Bells Volunteer Official - Media

2022 in fact has not been the best year, as just before I headed off to Geoquest 2022, I was told that I had a melanoma on my leg and that I would have to have this removed.  This would involve some major surgery (skin flap) and a long rehab.  So that was my year gone…..racing wise….well so I thought! Instead of ‘racing’ with the Wild Women girls my Tri Adventure partner Jan Leverton and I teamed up for a 5hr Rogaine and backed up with an MTBO event the next day.  I loved getting back out on my feet in the 5hr rogaine, Jan and I managed to score well and took out the female category. The next day my year went from bad to worse, when I flew over the bars on the MTB and crashed hitting my head hard and, well, almost breaking my fingers.  So, when I was I was told 12 weeks for my fingers to heal, I was so upset…. Jan, however, was convinced that I could still do the Mojo with her, as we were only entered in the 6hr event!

Mojo Raid 6hr was a great event, unfortunately the ‘MD Wild Women’ were not there, as not only was I in ‘gradual return to racing mode’, Cass was totally out of action!  She was unfortunately taken out by a shower door after Hells Bells in the Kenilworth showgrounds, so instead of attending the HB presentation ceremony, she had to go to hospital and get stitches in her heel.  Anyway somehow I managed to get through 6 hrs racing with my fingers strapped and wearing a hand brace on the trek legs…..just to prevent further damage.

Trekking in the Mojo was no easy task!

Anyway, getting through the Mojo meant that I possibly could sign up for the Oceania ARWS, but just do the 24hr version – as opposed to the 36hr Championship event.  So, I convinced Jan to help me fly the Mountain Designs flag and race as Mountain Designs Vintage Wild Women.  Other great news was that the Cass would be back in action too with Amie, Gina and Nicola and take on the 36hr Championship event. All of them would be backing up the week after the Wild Women AR where Cass and Amie were outright winners with Nicola and Gina’s teams rounding out the other two overall podium spots. Mountain Designs came onboard as an event sponsor for the Wild Women AR event as well which was so exciting for women's sport! Thanks Mountain Designs!

Start Wild Women AR 2022 - Gina (front left) and Nicola (front far right)

Cass and Amie - Outright Winners Wild Women AR 2022

So next up the Oceania Championships!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment